Many people balk at the thought of letting their kids create things in the kitchen. Yes, it’s a potential disaster area, but occasionally, it’s the bomb! These Real Food Peanut Butter Cups were the latest in my kids’ creations and they happen to fit my Healthy Happy Real food philosophy perfectly. They are very low in sugar and very tasty, plus they are gluten-free.
Harrison, my oldest, has been creative in the kitchen for awhile. At the age of 9 he created a spice blend that to this day has people clamoring to buy it once they taste it. So I learned from that to trust them and I love it because they always teach me something along the way as well.
Ingredients and Equipment for Peanut Butter Cups
There really are only 3 ingredients: Chocolate chips, coconut oil and peanut butter. Yes, you can use any other nut or seed butter you want to and for equipment, you need a bowl, a whisk, a small spoon and silicon mini muffin liners (or big ones if you want large cups)
Real Food Peanut Butter Cups
1 cup chocolate chips (the darker the better but 60% minimum for lowest sugar content)
2 tbsp coconut oil
Peanut Butter (or other nut butter) as needed
Silicon Mini Muffin Cups
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in double boiler (aka a bowl over a pan of simmering water if no double boiler).
- Melt them together, whisking until smooth. Transfer to a glass measuring cup with a pour spout.
- Pour a small amount into each muffin cup.
- Swirl the chocolate around to coat the inside of the cup.
- When it is completely coated, place on a cookie sheet and into the fridge to harden.
- Using a small spoon, place a small amount of peanut butter (about a teaspoon or less) into the chocolate coated bottom of the cup.
- Flatten out the peanut butter slightly then pour chocolate over the top of the peanut butter to completely cover it on all sides.
- Put back in the fridge to harden until completely smooth and no longer glossy on top.
Note: There may be affiliate links in this post. That means I may make a small commission that helps keep this blog running, but you never pay more. In fact, you often get a discount. Any products I recommend are products I love to use myself. If you have any questions, please see Disclaimer for more info or to contact me regarding this policy.