I have always loved the idea of caramel apples, but practically speaking, they are super hard to eat. I mean, how can you enjoy that salty-sweet, sticky goodness without making a mess? And what if you want them all the refined sugar? These Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Apples are the answer to both questions.
Elements of Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Apples
- Almond Butter (or other nut butter) stuffed into the core of the apple halves gives you a little protein to balance out the fructose coming from the fruit and sauces.
- Caramel Sauce – While you can certainly use a jarred sauce, but homemade is easy and super cheap whether you go with a traditional dairy based caramel sauce or my paleo version.
- Chocolate Drizzle – This easy chocolate sauce uses three ingredients you can stir together on the fly even if you have no chocolate bars or chips in the house.
- Chopped Nuts or other toppings – Of course these are optional. You are gilding the lily at this point anyway. Try salted or smoked almonds (surprisingly delicious,) grain-free granola or shredded coconut.
Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Apples | Paleo and Vegan
- Chocolate Drizzle Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp coconut oil, completely melted
1 tbsp maple syrup
- Other Ingredients
2 large crunchy apples, such as honey crisp or granny smith (or however many you would like)
2 tbsp almond butter or as needed
Prepared Caramel Sauce
Optional Toppings: Chopped almonds (smoked are awesome!), chopped peanuts, granola, shredded coconut, cacao nibs
- Mix together Chocolate Drizzle ingredients until glossy. Set aside.
- Cut apples in half and using a small scoop, remove the core.
- Fill the core with nut butter.
- Drizzle decoratively with the caramel sauce and chocolate drizzle sauce.
- Sprinkle with toppings and refrigerate until toppings are set.
Note: There may be affiliate links in this post. That means I may make a small commission that helps keep this blog running, but you never pay more. In fact, you often get a discount. Any products I recommend are products I love to use myself. If you have any questions, please see Disclaimer for more info or to contact me regarding this policy.