These Juicy BBQ Bacon Turkey Burgers came about due to my unorthodox meal planning method. I start with the veggies I have on hand then look at available proteins. For the veggies, a generous farmer at the Saturday market loaded me up with over 2 lbs of green bean. Ground turkey was the choice for the protein because it was the only meat I had thawed. With these ingredients, I was pondering two dinner possibilities. The burgers with a charred green bean salad or this Spicy Ground Turkey Green Bean Stir Fry from Slender Kitchen. The burgers won and they are now a family favorite!
What’s in the BBQ Bacon Turkey Burgers?
These burgers are super juicy since they are loaded with bacon and green onions. And the barbecue spice blend is one you will want to make up and use all summer. The smoky spice really amps up the flavor of these burgers and will do the same for any grilled meat. I used ground turkey, but you can use ground turkey breast, ground chicken, ground pork or even ground grass-fed beef. Honestly, you could also use ground salmon and make a pretty fabulous salmon burger.
What’s in the BBQ spice rub?
I based this rub on my favorite flavors I find in Texas barbecue – paprika, smoked paprika, chile powder and cumin. Yep, cumin. Maybe it’s from the Mexican influence, but many Texas barbecue rubs have a little cumin in them and I happen to love it. You can leave it out and bump up one of the other spices until it tastes like you want it to. You can also add a little coconut sugar for a little additional sweetness.
What else is on the BBQ Bacon Turkey Burgers?
I served them on lettuce and topped with avocado, barbecue sauce and a little chipotle ranch. (Scroll down to the Ranch Dressing variations in this post. Feel free to add cheese, tomato slices, pickles, pickled jalapenos or whatever else you love on a burger. If you’re not doing Whole30, go ahead and put the burgers on a grain-free bun.
What to Serve with the Burgers
You can certainly serve chips cooked in avocado oil or oven fries, but if you want to go with something more vegetal, you can make the Charred Green Bean Salad I made. Throw some fresh green beans into a hot skillet and cook until they are crisp-tender and charred on all sides. Toss with halved grape tomatoes and pickled onions. (This is a formula for pickled vegetables, just used thinly sliced onions as your vegetable.)
Extra Juicy BBQ Bacon Turkey Burgers (Paleo & Whole30)
Turkey burgers that are super juicy and flavor-filled with lots of bacon and green onions.
- BBQ Spice Rub
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp ancho or chipotle chile powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp granulated onion
- Burger Ingredients
2 lbs ground turkey
4 slices cooked meaty bacon
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 tbsp BBQ spice blend
1 tsp minced garlic
- Optional Remaining Ingredients
Butter or Boston Lettuce Leaves
BBQ Sauce (Whole30 compliant or see notes)
Cheese (not Paleo or Whole30)
Tomato Slices, Pickle slices, Onion slices as desired
- Prepare any side dishes first.
- Mix the spice blend ingredients together in a small jar.
- Combine the turkey burger ingredients and divide into 8 large mounds.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add a little avocado oil and/or reserved bacon fat, then carefully place the mounds into the skillet (you may only be able to cook 2-3 at a time). Press down gently to make each mound into a 1/2″ thick patty. Let cook until they are browned on the bottom and easily release from the pan.
- Flip and cook the other side until brown and register 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Cook remaining mounds of turkey.
- Assemble the burgers and serve with desired toppings and sides.
- For an easy homemade BBQ sauce, combine 1/2 cup Whole30 friendly ketchup, 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tbsp honey (omit honey and use 1 tbsp coconut aminos for Whole30), and 1/2 tbsp Barbecue Spice Blend
Note: There may be affiliate links in this post. That means I may make a small commission that helps keep this blog running, but you never pay more. In fact, you often get a discount. Any products I recommend are products I love to use myself. If you have any questions, please see Disclaimer for more info or to contact me regarding this policy.